According to a number of researches, including a research conducted by the WHO (World Health Organization), people spend most of their time at home or in an office. Yet indoor air can be up to five times more polluted than outdoor air, and long-term exposure to a large family of chemicals called VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) can contribute to sick building syndrome,
which produces various symptoms including nausea, irritation, allergies and joint pain.
What are the causes of domestic pollution?
Normally, problems in “sick” buildings are due to the presence of harmful substances in certain materials used in the construction of the building, such as the presence of VOCs, improper exhaust of ozone (such as that produced by a photocopier) or the lack of fresh-air intake filtration.
Especially at high temperatures, excessive relative humidity in indoor environments may cause mould to form, causing discomfort to the occupants as well as structural damage to buildings.
The solution to improve air quality
In order to tackle domestic pollution, it is essential to minimise potential hazards lurking in our homes. Invasive measures are not always required: in fact, good ventilation and air conditioning may help reduce these problems by up to 70%.
RHINOCOMFORT is a specific solution that improves the quality of the air you breathe at home: a fan system that eliminates excess humidity and, thanks to a catalyst lit by a LED light source, breaks down pollutants in incoming air, making them harmless.
This air purifier assures constant circulation of clean air while making it possible to recover up to 90% of the heat, considerably lowering running costs when the air of the rooms needs to be constantly purified.
Other advantages of using this mechanical fan system include the possibility to keep humidity levels under control. That is why using an air purifier should not be considered only in the most commonly used rooms, but also in peripheral areas, where the formation of mould and moisture spots is more likely, consequently reducing the likelihood of substances that are harmful to health in the home.
Certified laboratory tests
The tests conducted in qualified, certified laboratories have proven the effectiveness of RHINOCOMFORT in reducing the bacterial load, VOCs and mould found in the air during treatment with the appliance.
Specifically, the following results were assessed:
- a >99% reduction in BACTERIAL LOAD
- a >40% reduction in VOCs (Certified by the “Experimental Analysis Laboratory”)
- a >50% reduction in MOULDS AND YEASTS (Certified by the “Emiliani Giovanni Chemical Laboratory”)
Each single RHINOCOMFORT unit is mounted on a perimeter wall and is suitable for rooms up to 50 sq.m.*. By installing additional fan units, up to 64 devices can be controlled simultaneously, and communicate with each other wirelessly. This is another reason why the system does not require any major installation work and is therefore particularly useful in the case of renovations and when installing centralised mechanical fan systems is not an option.
* data calculated on air exchange equal to 0.5 Vol./h
5 rules to bear in mind
In general, to reduce or eliminate sources of domestic pollution, it is advisable to follow a few simple tips.
- Try to eliminate products that contain volatile compounds, replacing them with compounds with a low VOC rate. This is a useful tip if you need to paint your house or change the cladding. And if you have bought a new, non-certified piece of furniture, make sure you leave the doors and drawers open for a long time before you bring it into your home.
- When cleaning your home, try to avoid using chemical detergents.
- If necessary, install an extractor hood in the kitchen and in the bathroom so that the fumes are conveyed outside.
- Decorate your home with plants, since many of them are capable of reducing the amount of volatile substances found in the air, for example ivy, azaleas, aloe vera, ficus, lilies, gerberas and chrysanthemums.
- Prevent excessive dampness in your home and make sure there is no mould on the walls, water leakages or infiltration problems.
But, above all … Air the rooms to reduce volatile compounds in your home, changing the air several times a day, even in winter. Or install a controlled ventilation system with an air purification system.
Find out more about RHINOCOMFORT